how to place your furniture around them! One of the most asked questions I get as a decorator is: "Where do I place all this furniture, so that the room looks inviting?"
The "formula" of this process is pretty much the same for every room in your home, so if you follow these MAIN points you can't go wrong. (Of course there is a lot more to it, such as colors, fabrics, prints, art placements, table lamps, accessories, etc....but this will get you started with a lot of confidence!)
Let's start with one of the most used rooms in the house...the "open planned" kitchen and family room!
1) Finding the focal point of your room....the moment you walk into a room whatever you first see....is your major focal point to give the room that "WOW" factor. Yes windows and fireplaces are also focal points and you can have several in a large open concept....but, the first MAJOR one is the wall you first see when walking into any room!
2) Decide on the "shape" that best fits the area.
- a "U" shape layout (form a U with your main furniture facing one of your focal points)
- a "L" shape layout (placing furniture perpendicular to one another forming an L, and this one is the most popular for rooms with a lot of functions...especially in a family room with a TV)
- a "H" shape layout with furniture facing each other and a major coffee table sectioning off all the furniture around this main table (can also be known as a circular layout)
I hope these few tips can get you started with rearranging your space to a comfy cozy space!
Until next time, remember to let your home tell YOUR life story! xoxox debi